Wednesday, March 18, 2020

DENIAL


Luke 22:54-62 “Then they seized him and led him away, bringing him into the high priests’s house, and Peter was following at a distance.  And when they had kindled a fire in the middle of the courtyard and sat down together, Peter sat down among them.  Then a servant girl, seeing him as he sat in the light and looking closely at him, said, “This man also was with him.”  But he denied it, saying, “Woman, I do not know him.”  And a little later someone else saw him and said, “You also are one of them.”  But Peter said, “Man I am not.”  And after an interval of about an hour still another insisted, saying, “Certainly this man also was with him, for he too is a Galilean.”  But Peter said, “Man, I do not know what you are talking about.”  And immediately, while he was still speaking, the rooster crowed.  And the Lord turned and looked at Peter.  And Peter remembered the saying of the Lord, how he had said to him, “Before the rooster crows today, you will deny me three times.”  And he went out and wept bitterly.”

I’m sure you have all heard the phrase, “denial is not just a river in Egypt”.  Yes, the scripture reading for today is about DENIAL…not “de nile”!  Oh how I wish I could not
relate to this situation with Peter.  Matthew 26:31-35 details Jesus telling the disciples (on the way to the garden after leaving the upper room) that all of them would desert Him.   Of course Peter, and the other disciples with Jesus, all vowed that they would not deny nor desert Him, with Peter insisting he would “never desert Him”.  Jesus told Peter these specific events, in today’s scripture reading, would happen that night.  Can you see yourself having the same reaction as the disciples?  Perhaps you have “vowed” that you would not deny, or desert, your Lord and Savior as you go through your day to day living.  I’m thinking many of us don’t spend time reflecting upon whether we might have “denied” Jesus, as we have gone through our day to day living.  I know I’ve certainly spent more time reflecting on denial since Lent began on Ash Wednesday of this year!

We hear about the “silent majority” from time to time, and perhaps you can relate to being part of that designation.  We can sometimes justify being “silent” by remembering old sayings like “if you don’t have anything good to say, don’t say anything at all”.  Sometimes it really is “easier” or “more comfortable” to not take a stand with other people, than it is to stand up and defend what we believe.  You know, “go along to get along”?  Surely this is not the same as outright “denial”, but might it be a marker along the road of decline…to a place of, or very near, denial?? Surely we don’t want to be part of the “silent majority” if it means we remain silent and don’t hold firm regarding our belief, and faith, in Jesus Christ.  For “Everyone who acknowledges me publicly here on earth, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven.  But everyone who denies me here on earth, I will also deny before my Father in heaven.” (Matthew 10:32-33)   We certainly don’t want to be on that side of the denial of Jesus… 

I find it very encouraging that Jesus forgave Peter’s very vocal denial in the courtyard of the high priest’s house.  I pray that I have never spoken “words of denial” of my Savior, but it does really make me pause, as I reflect on times I may have been silent when I should have spoken out…or was inactive when I should have taken action on behalf of our Lord.  Maybe you’ve had, or still have, regrets about things you did, or did not do, in your past, that may in “hindsight” feel like denial of Jesus in some way.  What can we do about those things in our past?  Well, repentance would be a great place to start.  And isn’t that what Lent is all about??  Spending time seeking the Lord, recognizing our sinful, human nature, reflecting on specific things we regret and/or want to change, and asking for the Lord’s forgiveness and help in growing closer to Him.

And we know that our Lord will hear our prayers asking for forgiveness, because we have God’s promise throughout the Bible.  Two passages from the New Testament are among many that assure us of God’s promise of forgiveness.  “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”  (1 John 1:9)  “Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord.” (Acts 3:19)   And a very familiar passage from the Old Testament is 2 Chronicles 7:14, “If my people, who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.”  There are many other scripture references I could add, however these are very representative of the promise we have been given throughout God’s Word.

Lord, may we always acknowledge You publicly here on earth.  Help us not to be conformed to this world!  We do not want to be in groups or settings where the conversation and actions do not acknowledge You.  May we turn back to You in repentance when we sometimes follow the crowd and “go along…to get along”.  Thank You for Your mercy and grace, and Your faithfulness to forgive us when we come to You in honest confession.  Amen.


Tom Hoien



No comments:

Post a Comment