Monday, March 30, 2020

John 13:12-17

When he had washed their feet and put on his outer garments and resumed his place, he said to them, “Do you understand what I have done to you? You call me Teacher and Lord, and you are right, for so I am.  If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet.  For I have given you an example, that you also should do just as I have done to you.  Truly, truly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him.  If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them.”

That evening was the last evening Jesus would spend with these twelve disciples.  During previous meals with these men the disciples speculated who was Jesus’s favorite.  They jockeyed for position as to who was the best; the most faithful disciple.  What would this meal be like?  Not only was it the last evening with them Jesus KNEW it was his last with them.  He had honored God, the Father, and willingly offered himself.  



If you knew you would not live past this evening with who would you choose to spend your time?  Your family?  Your closest friends?  What would you do?  What conversations would you have?  I would choose to spend it with my wife and my daughter.  I’d want them to know how much I love them; how much of a blessing they are to me.  I’d like them to know that just being in their presence was sufficient for me.  I’d want them to know how important a personal relationship with Christ is and to never lose sight of that.  That’s what I’d do.
 
Jesus did not have dinner with his mother or his siblings.  He chose to spend time with these twelve disciples.  These men besides being disciples were his friends; his family for the past 3 years. He had poured his life into the men as Moses had done with Joshua.  With such little time left what else should he say to them?  What else could he do for them prior to his departure?  Clearly, the disciples couldn’t fully appreciate the choice Jesus made about who to spend his time until after the crucifixion; after the resurrection; possibly after Pentecost.

Jesus did not perform one last miracle for them to demonstrate his power.  Jesus (their Rabbi) did not give a wonderful exegesis of scripture.  Jesus performed a simple act of service for his friends to demonstrate humility; show love.

I must confess I fall short of Jesus’s example.  I have a long way to go but with the guidance of the Holy Spirit I expect to be conformed towards that standard.

Your Brother in Christ,
Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment