Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Scripture: Luke 23:39-43

39One of the criminals who were hanged railed at him, saying, "Are you not the Christ? Save yourself and us!" 40But the other rebuked him, saying, "Do you not fear God, since you are under the same sentence of condemnation? 41And we indeed justly, for we are receiving the due reward of our deeds; but this man has done nothing wrong." 42And he said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom." 43And he said to him, "Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in paradise."
Observation:
I find myself asking, who would I be in this situation?  The first criminal doubts Jesus; if you are Christ save yourself and me.  The second offers a confession and prayer; acknowledging that Jesus is the Christ and asking that Jesus remember him in Heaven.
Obviously, I would like to think that I would like to be more like the second criminal.  That in my final hours I would openly confess Jesus as Lord and ask for Him to remember me, intercede for me, in his kingdom.  That I would acknowledge my wrong, understand that I justly deserve punishment, and Jesus is being punished unjustly.  
Sadly, I often find myself acting more like the first criminal.  I have an idea of what God should do, how He should use His power and might.  Healing that I believe should come to those I love.  Answered prayers to the many things I have asked for.  Justice for the many wrongs I see around me and sometimes feel have been done to me.  Thankfully, God’s view is much larger than mine.  
Application:
I am blessed in that I have the benefit of hind-sight.  I know how the story ends; not on that cross.  That three days later Jesus will rise from the grave having conquered death, paid the price for my sin, and has promised me eternal life with Him just like the second criminal.
One of my new favorite songs is “King of Kings” by Hillsong Worship. Part of the lyrics state:
To redeem the whole creation
You did not despise the cross
For even in Your suffering
You saw to the other side
Knowing this was our salvation
Jesus for our sake You died
There is great comfort in that thought; that while on the cross, Jesus saw through to the other side that the second criminal would be with Him that day.  That He saw I would be with Him in Heaven.  That He saw you would be with Him in Heaven.
Honestly, it is not important who I would be in that situation.  Jesus died for both criminals.  He died to redeem both criminals as well as all people who had been, who were, and who were to come.  More importantly, He rose so that we can have eternal life with Him.  “King of Kings” later states:
By His blood and in His name
In His freedom I am free
For the love of Jesus Christ
Who has resurrected me
Prayer:
Heavenly Father, thank you for remembering me.  Help me to remember that through Your death and resurrection I am no longer bound by sin.  You have made me Your child, redeemed me from my sins, and promise that I will be with You in paradise. 
Jeff Wiese

No comments:

Post a Comment