Saturday, March 7, 2020

Matthew 27:46 “Now from the sixth hour there was darkness over all the land until the ninth hour. 46 And about the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, “Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?” that is, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”

Observation:  Jesus demonstrated his incredible love for us by experiencing hell in our place.  He was willing to be forsaken by the Heavenly Father so that we wouldn’t have to be.  In a mystery we cannot understand, Jesus, the Son of God, became sin for us, who knew no sin, so that we might become the righteousness of God (2 Corinthians 5:21).  The “light of the world” was surrounded by the darkness of this fallen world.

Application:  In light of this tremendous sacrifice, how should I respond?  I can live a life of gratitude for what Jesus has done for me.  I can live in freedom because he has set me free from the bondage of sin.  I can be a living sacrifice (Romans 12:1) for my Savior who sacrificed his life for me.

Prayer:  Dear Jesus thank you for being forsaken by the Heavenly Father for me.  Thank you for enduring the punishment that I deserve.  Help me to live a life that glorifies you and help me to share your love and mercy with those around me.  Help me to be willing to be a living sacrifice for you.  In your precious name, Amen.

Paul Michaletz

No comments:

Post a Comment