Monday, March 9, 2020

Matthew 27: 50-54 “And Jesus cried out again with a loud voice and yielded up his spirit. 51And behold, the curtain of the temple was torn in two, from top to bottom. And the earth shook, and the rocks were split. 52The tombs also were opened. And many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised, 53and coming out of the tombs after his resurrection they went into the holy city and appeared to many. 54When the centurion and those who were with him, keeping watch over Jesus, saw the earthquake and what took place, they were filled with awe and said, “Truly this was the Son of God!”

Observation.  Jesus’ death on the cross changed things!  No longer do we have to go through a priest to have access to God (torn curtain).  We have direct access to God through our mediator, Jesus Christ.  Creation responded to Jesus’ death and gave up the dead by the resurrection power of Jesus.  Jesus was the first fruit for those falling asleep (1 Corinthians 15:20). The death of Jesus changed hearts. Even the hard-hearted centurion and the soldiers with him could not deny that this was no ordinary death because Jesus was no ordinary person.   They confessed that Jesus was the Son of God.

Application.  The death of Jesus can affect every aspect of my life.  I can boldly come before the throne of grace (Hebrews 4:16), knowing that the Father hears me because of Jesus.  I can look forward to my own resurrection when God will change my mortal body into an immortal body to live with him forever.  I can be confident that the death and resurrection of Jesus does change lives, even those that seem far from God.  I can be a witness to the death and resurrection of Jesus in my own life.

Prayer.  Dear Jesus thank you for your sacrifice for my sin on the cross.  Thank you that because you rose from the dead, I too will rise and spend an eternity with you.  Thank you that you have made it possible to come before your throne of grace to find mercy and grace to help in my time of need.  Thank you that you do change lives, even those that are far from you. In your name, Amen.

Paul Michaletz

No comments:

Post a Comment