Friday, March 27, 2020

Scripture: John 4: 25-26
25The woman said to him, "I know that Messiah is coming (he who is called Christ). When he comes, he will tell us all things." 26Jesus said to her, "I who speak to you am He."
Observation:
I have to admit, my observation comes not from these verses but from later in the story.  Verse 28 tells us that the woman “left her water jar and went away into the town and said to the people, ‘Come, see a man who told me all that I ever did.  Can this be the Christ?’”.
She left her water jar!  The thing that she had came for, the thing she originally thought would provide for her life.  She left it behind immediately because of what she found at that well; the water that gives eternal life that Jesus referred to in verse 14.
Because of her immediate response to Jesus, verse 39 tells us that “Many Samaritans from that town believed in Him because of the woman’s testimony, …”.  Her reaction to Jesus had a profound affect not only on her, but on many of those around her.
Application:
What is my reaction to Jesus sharing who he is with me?  Sadly, if I am honest with myself I am much less enthusiastic in my response.  I don’t find myself leaving behind my work for the day to immediately go share what God has revealed to me with those in my community.  
Thankfully along with Jesus’ revelation of who He is to me, He has revealed why He came.  Through His death and resurrection I have life eternal with Him.  My sins are forgiven and God has made me His child.  This is the news that God has called me to share, just like the Samaritan woman at the well did.
Prayer:
Heavenly Father, thank you for revealing yourself and your love to me through Jesus.  Help me to share the story of your love and forgiveness with those in my community that they too might come to know you and your love for them.
Jeff Wiese

No comments:

Post a Comment