Thursday, March 26, 2020

Scripture: Luke 23: 50-56
50Now there was a man named Joseph, from the Jewish town of Arimathea. He was a member of the council, a good and righteous man, 51who had not consented to their decision and action; and he was looking for the kingdom of God. 52This man went to Pilate and asked for the body of Jesus. 53Then he took it down and wrapped it in a linen shroud and laid him in a tomb cut in stone, where no one had ever yet been laid. 54It was the day of Preparation, and the Sabbath was beginning. 55The women who had come with him from Galilee followed and saw the tomb and how his body was laid. 56Then they returned and prepared spices and ointments. On the Sabbath they rested according to the commandment.

Observation:
As I read and reread these verses in thinking about this blog entry three words keep coming into my mind; Provision, Preparation, and Perspective.  
Provision:
A burial place for Jesus’ body was provided through Joseph of Arimathea.  More than simply a location to place the Lord’s body, the notes in my Bible illustrate that this was also God providing a way for prophesy about Jesus to be fulfilled.  Luke tells us that Joseph was a member of the council, and implication here is that he was in a position of leadership within his community and likely someone of financial resources.  Jesus was buried in the tomb Joseph had prepared for himself.  Isiah 53:9 states that:
“… they made his grave with the wicked and with a rich man in his death . . .”
Through Joseph’s tomb, the grave of a rich man, God provided fulfillment of the prophecy regarding the death of the Messiah.
Preparation:
Again, a grave had been prepared by Joseph.  His intention for preparing this grave was different than how God used it.  However, Joseph was prepared for God’s use when the time came.
Additionally, verse 56 tells that the women following Jesus went back to prepare spices and ointments for Jesus’ body.  They were preparing to show their love to Jesus in what may have been perceived at the time as a final act of devotion to him.
Perspective:
Verse 56 also tells us that despite all of this going on and the acts of devotion they felt compelled to do to Jesus’ crucified body, the women rested on the Sabbath day as they were commanded to do.

Application:
Provision:
I reflect on the many ways that I see where God has provided for me in my life and acknowledge the many more that I am unaware of.  His provision is also a reminder of His kept promises.  A small list of those promises I find most comforting are:
  •       God promises to be with us in our time of need  (Deuteronomy 31:8 and Isiah 41:10)
  •        Forgiveness of our sins (1 John 1:9 and 2 Chronicles 7:14)
  •        That He has a plan for me including prosperity, hope, and a future (Jeremiah 29:11)
  •        That He hears and answers my prayers (Mark 11:24)
  •        That He loves me (John 3:16)

I am reminded how God has and continues to provide for me in every aspect of my life.  My application, is to keep this remembrance of God’s provision in the forefront of my thoughts.

Preparation:
Jeremiah 29:11 states that God has plans for us.  However, we do not always see what those plans are and how God will use us in his ultimate plan.  That is why it is important that we are prepared for where He places us and how He uses us.  One way to stay prepared, is to be in His word daily.  The Bible reminds of us these promises listed above; not only to us but to everyone.  Daily, or at least regular, reading of the Bible prepares us to share His love with others.

Perspective:
With a demanding job and two active children as well other family and social commitments it is often easy for me to lose perspective on what is important.  My guess is many of you face this same challenge.  The women following Jesus remind me to keep proper perspective on what I am doing and why I am doing it.  Even if I am devoted to doing tasks that I believe are pleasing to God (such as being a good husband, father, son, and employee) if I don’t make the priority worshiping Him and doing these things to honor Him, I have lost proper perspective.  We often say that God does not need our works or finances, but what He desires is our relationship with Him.  Despite our busy lives, it is important that we set aside time (as we too are commanded) to worship and develop our relationship with God.

Prayer:

Father God, I am thankful for the ways you provide for me throughout my life.  Physical and spiritual needs you provide; often without my awareness or acknowledgement.  Prepare me to be used for your will and to do the work of your kingdom.  And help me keep proper perspective on why I do these things and when to take time to rest, to worship you, and to know you better.

Jeff Wiese

No comments:

Post a Comment